WESTON, FL, USA – Nov. 6, 2007 – Micrium, a leading provider of high quality embedded software components, today announced that Microchip Technology Inc. [NASDAQ: MCHP], a leading provide of microcontroller and analog semiconductors, has selected Micrium’s full line of embedded software components to support its new PIC32 32-bit MCU family.
Micrium’s support of the PIC32 family builds on the company’s existing relationship with Microchip, which includes uC/OS-II Kernel Awareness debugging capabilities in Microchip’s MPLAB® Integrated Development Environment (IDE).
“The PIC32 family offers developers high-performance 32-bit MCUs with a seamless upward migration path from Microchip’s 16-bit families, including compatible tools,” said Jean Labrosse, Micrium president and CEO. “As their design complexity increases, 16- and 32-bit PIC® MCU users now have access to Micrium’s high-quality RTOS and associated components, such as a file system, TCP/IP stack, USB stacks, and others tools that can reduce time to market.”
“As we looked for embedded component providers to support the PIC32, we felt it was critical to have Micrium included in the launch,” said Patrick Johnson, director of Microchip’s High Performance Microcontroller Division. “The quality of Micrium’s products, the company’s recognition in the industry and the good experiences we’ve had with their 16-bit support and MPLAB IDE integration were key factors in our decision to include Micrium in the initial launch of our 32-bit MCU product line.”
The PIC32 family offers a high-performance MCU that is compatible with Microchip’s 16-bit microcontrollers and is well supported by industry software and tools. This 32-bit MCU family maintains pin, peripheral and software compatibility with the company’s 16-bit devices, allowing designers to realize 32-bit performance from a single platform that can accommodate multiple end products. It offers a 72 MHz 32-bit core for increased chip and software performance, and maximizes flexibility with 32-512 Kbytes of on-chip Flash memory and 8-32 Kbytes of RAM.
Micrium Embedded Components
Micrium products that support Microchip’s PIC32 microcontrollers include:
- The uC/OS-II RTOS is a highly portable, ROMable, scalable, preemptive, real-time, multitasking kernel. uC/OS-II is written in ANSI C. uC/OS-II meets the demanding requirements of the RTCA DO-178B standard for software used in avionics equipment.
- uC/TCP-IP is a compact, reliable, high-performance TCP/IP protocol stack. Built from the ground up to be both scalable and highly reliable, uC/TCP-IP enables the rapid configuration of required network options to minimize time-to-market.
- uC/Probe is a real-time embedded systems monitoring tool that allows users to view system dynamics in real-time and without stopping the application. uC/Probe is a Windows application that can communicate with a board via a J-Tag interface, RS-232, TCP-IP, or USB connection.
- uC/FS is a file system for embedded applications offering a high-performance library that can be used on any media for which you can provide basic hardware access functions.
- uC/GUI is designed to provide an efficient, processor and LCD controller-independent graphical user interface (GUI) for any application that operates with a graphical LCD.
About Microchip Technology
Microchip Technology Inc. (NASDAQ: MCHP) is a leading provider of microcontroller and analog semiconductors, providing low-risk product development, lower total system cost and faster time to market for thousands of diverse customer applications worldwide. Headquartered in Chandler, Arizona, Microchip offers outstanding technical support along with dependable delivery and quality. For more information, visit the Microchip website at www.microchip.com.
Micrium provides high-quality embedded software components by way of engineer-friendly source code, unsurpassed documentation and customer support. The company's world-renowned real-time operating system, the Micrium uC/OS-II, features the highest-quality source code available for today's embedded market. Micrium's products consistently shorten time-to-market throughout all product development cycles. For additional information on Micrium, please visit www.micrium.com.
Note: PIC and MPLAB are registered trademarks of Microchip Technology Inc. in the U.S. and other countries.